We’re excited to announce that the Pebble Android app featuring the Pebble appstore is now available for download from the Google Play store. It’s taken a bit longer than expected, but we wanted our Android users to enjoy the same seamless and delightful experience we recently provided to Pebblers on iOS.
Special thanks to the Pebble users and developers who tested our Android beta builds: your help and feedback was invaluable. So dive in, because it’s time! Download Pebble for Android 2.0 from Google Play and unlock a whole new universe of apps and watchfaces waiting for you in the Pebble appstore (full release notes after the jump).
If you’re looking for sweet Android and Pebble apps and watchfaces to get started with, check a few of our favorite Android companion apps:
- Glance lets you customize your Pebble with weather, calendar, and stocks and send pre-configured SMS messages.
- Canvas lets you design watchfaces on your smartphone and publish them instantly to your Pebble.
- PebbleCam turns your Pebble into a remote viewfinder and control for your smartphone camera.
- Music Boss lets you to launch and control any music app on your smartphone from your wrist, with volume control included.
- Sleep as Android is a smart alarm clock and sleep-cycle tracker that integrates with Pebble and wakes you up gently.
New Partner Apps!
We’re also thrilled to welcome three new partners, launching today on the Pebble appstore: eBay, Evernote, and Time Warner Cable. They join our growing lineup of partners, including Mercedes-Benz, Yelp, and Foursquare!
The eBay app for Pebble lets users quickly and easily access their eBay Feed and discover products on their smartwatch. With the push of a button, the eBay app for Pebble allows users add an item to their Watch List and then complete the shopping experience on their smartphone.
“eBay for Pebble smartwatch is our latest announcement at the forefront of merging commerce and technology” said Steve Yankovich, Vice President, Innovation and New Ventures at eBay Inc. ”eBay Inc. is constantly innovating, pivoting and evolving new technologies to build superior customer experiences.”
Evernote for Pebble helps you remember everything across all your devices by giving you convenient, wrist-top access to core Evernote features like Checklists, Reminders, and Notebooks. Pebblers using Evernote can easily view upcoming reminders, bring up notes about a new restaurant recommendation, check off items from grocery lists without digging into pockets for a phone, and more.
Time Warner Cable and Pebble have teamed up to build a Pebble app that allows Intelligent Home subscribers to control their home right from their wrists. If you’re at SXSW Interactive this year, swing by the Developer Garage to see the Time Warner Cable app for Pebble in action.
We’d also like to congratulate Mercedes-Benz for recently launching their phenomenal Digital DriveStyle app in the Pebble appstore.
Pebble + SXSW
Team Pebble will be in Austin, TX for SXSW Interactive, 7–11 March. It’s always a blast meeting Pebblers in-person, so we hope to see as many of you as possible for the events we’re participating in! Be sure to follow @Pebble on Twitter and on Facebook to keep tabs on where will be and giveaways that’ll happening throughout the weekend.
Satuday, 8 March @ SXSW Create, Wearables and Context with Pebble Product Evangelist Myriam Joire
During SXSW Create, Interactive’s community event for Makers, Hackers, and DIYers, Team Pebble joins BikeHugger for a talk on wearables and context. Come visit — this event is free and open to anyone!
The Long Center | 701 W Riverside Drive 78704 | Event Page »
Saturday–Sunday, 8–9 March @ The Connected Home Developers Garage + Happy Hour.
Check out Team Pebble as they demo cool home automation apps like Time Warner Cable’s Intelligent Home!
Silicon Laboratories | 200 West Cesar Chavez 78701 | Event Page »
Sunday, 9 March @ Evernote Platform Night with Team Pebble
A night dedicated to the community of users, developers, and apps that save and sync with Evernote’s cloud platform. Catch up with the Pebble Team and check out Evernote’s Pebble app live!
Frank | 407 Colorado Street 78701 | Event Page »
Monday, 10 March @ Form and Function: Designing Devices You Want to Wear with Pebble CEO Eric Migicovsky
This panel brings together breakout stars in wearable tech that are both functional and attractive without exception. Executives and designers from Pebble, Whistle, and Jawbone will discuss the depth and breadth of product design and outline real-life creative lessons learned.
Hyatt Regency Austin | 208 Barton Springs Road 78704 | Ballroom 5-7 | Event Page »
Pebble for Android 2.0 Release Notes
- Completely revamped and improved user interface design.
- Pebble watchapp directory: browse, find, and install the latest watchapps for Pebble.
- Watchapp locker: keep track of your favorite apps and manage the apps on your Pebble.
- The list of prior notifications is now stored on your Pebble.
- Using Pebble watchapps that connect to the internet to fetch data such as location or weather requires the Pebble Android app to be running on your phone.
- This release supports a single Pebble watch. We are aware that some users may have multiple Pebble smart watches, and will add support in a future release.
- Users of the Beta release of the Android 2.0 application will only see the old app in the Google Play Store. Delete the Beta version of the app to see the public version properly.
- Side-loading apps from the “Downloads” app or Gmail may fail. This is a known issue—users must currently use another method (e.g. Dropbox, downloading with an alternate browser, copying manually to a SD card, loading from the File Manager, etc.)
- Users may have to manually re-launch the Pebble app and reconnect to a Pebble that has been disconnected from the paird device for a long period of time.
- If a user is experiencing difficulty connecting their Pebble and phone: We suggest the user first try using (device) Home button then launching the Pebble app again via the Android launcher, then attempting to connect again. If that does not work, we suggest the user navigate to the Bluetooth settings menu, un-pair on both the android and pebble devices, and turn Bluetooth on Android off then on.