Serious question for @Pebble. It someone texts me an emoji, how does it show up on the watch?
— David (@canceIed) January 21, 2013
@pebble what will be displayed on pebble’s screen if an emoji is sent via iMessage/SMS?
— Jay Farkas (@JayFarkas) January 22, 2013
If you’re anything like us, you <3 emojis. Why waste time typing out how you feel when you can get to the point with a 😀 ? For those waiting eagerly for emojis on Pebble, we’re ʘ‿ʘ to share Firmware 2.5, delivering all the ლ(╹◡╹ლ) your wrists can handle!
Emoji support isn’t the only news on deck today. Firmware 2.5 also activates Pebble’s compass features and introduces iOS 8 compatibility. Read on for the full rundown and release notes.
Pebble’s magnetometer is open for business! With our open SDK, developers can now build apps with compass and wayfinding features. After updating your Pebble to 2.5, grab these goodies from the appstore to see the compass in action:
- Compass by Pebble: Get your bearings and find your way.
- Where To? for iOS: Discover local points of interest, your distance away, and which direction to head.
iOS 8 Compatibility
Pebble’s 2.5 Firmware also brings compatibility with iOS 8 and a way to better manage notifications. Dismissing an alert from your Pebble will clear it from iOS’ Notification Center as well! For Pebblers on Android, similar enhancements are in the pipeline, so stay tuned.
Pebble Firmware 2.5 (Release Notes)
- Added support for popular emojis, with more to come!
- Added magnetometer support, enabling compass and wayfinding apps.
- Added iOS 8 compatibility: dismissing notifications from Pebble now clears them from Notification Center on devices running iOS 8.
- Bug fixes and stability improvements.
To update to the latest firmware:
- Open the Pebble smartphone app for iOS or Android.
- Select Support » Update Your Pebble in the Menu if the update does not begin automatically.
Wait…there’s more 😉
The DOMO watchface was a longtime favorite for thousands of Pebblers—he’s been sorely missed since leaving the Pebble appstore. Luckily, DOMO’s story doesn’t end there. In partnership with Big Tent Entertainment, DOMO is back, sweeter than ever, with new tricks up his sleeve:
- Press Up and Down to trigger DOMO’s various animations.
- Shake your Pebble for DOMO’s angry face.
- Watch DOMO get drowsy then fall asleep at nighttime.
- Set your location for DOMO to know when it’s hot outside (he’ll sweat!).