It’s tough to put into words just how much we love Pebblers all over the world…
“Máme vás rádi!” “Við elskum þig!” “Kochamy cię!”
…but it’s safe to say making Pebble more awesome with each and every update is a great place to start. Today, we’ve got love to share on three fronts: Firmware, Android, and iOS. The Android app update will be a phased roll-out: available today to 10% of Pebblers who visit the Google Play Store, with access expanding over the next couple weeks. Pebblers can also join our Beta Channel for early access to test releases of the Pebble Android app.
Firmware v2.8: Multi-language Notifications
Firmware 2.8 adds full character support for the broadest set of languages to date. For Pebblers who receive notifications in the newly supported languages, special characters like “ß” and “Ż” will appear correctly, as opposed to showing up as “unknown character” boxes. Over 98% of Pebblers in the world can now fully receive messages and alerts in their native language. Today’s update paves the way for more languages to come in the future, as Pebble steadily lands in more countries around the world.
To test out Pebble’s newly-supported characters, try sending yourself the following message after updating to 2.8: ÑÔ møŕě bòxĕš fōř ėïġĥťý ŀæńģūåĝęş!
Pebble Android App v2.1.0: Better, Faster, Stronger 🙂
When considering the best way to improve Pebblers’ Android experience, we decided to go big: revamping the app from the ground-up to be snappier, more reliable, and enjoyable. With a new foundation to introduce awesome features more easily, version 2.1.0 of the Pebble Android app is here, starting with three magic words: Full. Notification. Support 🙂
Android devices running 4.3 (Jelly Bean) or above can now send notifications to Pebble from any app, via the new Notifications » All Apps menu. From there, you can Select All, Select None, or toggle apps individually. A future update will allow earlier 4.0+ versions of Android to upgrade to the 2.1.0 Pebble app. A few notes to keep in mind when setting up Android notification features for the first time:
- The Pebble app will prompt you to grant it notification access in Android’s settings if it hasn’t been done already (required to send notifications from your Android to your Pebble).
- Some popular apps (like Hangouts and Facebook) are toggled On by default.
- If you enable built-in notifications—like Gmail or Calendar—in the Notifications menu, they will show as unselectable in the All Apps menu, to avoid getting duplicate alerts.
As thrilled as we are to share the new Android app, we’ve got even more in store. Today’s release lays the groundwork for us to introduce features and improvements you’ll love with more regularity. Our VP of Software Engineering, Kean Wong, wanted to share his thoughts about the journey to today’s release:
This new app has been the culmination of months of work by our fantastic Android team to re-build our Android app, focused on notification improvements, increasing stability and performance, and providing a solid platform for the long roadmap of great new features we have planned. Full notifications support, is a significant improvement—one we’ll build on to provide more amazing notification features soon.
Love Pebble back? Join our Team!
While the rollout of this new Pebble Android app is a huge step in evolving the Pebble Android user experience, there is a lot more that we want to do to set Pebble’s mobile app experience apart, and we are growing both our Android and iOS teams to achieve our vision. If you (or a friend) develop for Android or iOS, are passionate about bringing wearables to the masses, want to push Pebble to the next level, and love working with an awesome team at an innovative company, check out our Jobs page to get in touch!
Full release notes below.
Pebble Firmware 2.8 Release Notes
- NEW: Expanded language support for notifications. Receive and view messages on your Pebble in the following languages: Afrikaans, Albanian, Asu, Basque, Bemba, Bena, Bosnian, Catalan, Chiga, Congo Swahili, Cornish, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Embu, English, Esperanto, Estonian, Faroese, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, Ganda, German, Gusii, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Jola-Fonyi, Kabuverdianu, Kalaallisut, Kalenjin, Kamba, Kikuyu, Kinyarwanda, Latvian, Lithuanian, Luo, Luyia, Machame, Makhuwa-Meetto, Makonde, Malagasy, Malay, Maltese, Manx, Maori, Meru, Morisyen, North Ndebele, Norwegian Bokmål, Norwegian Nynorsk, Nyankole, Oromo, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Rombo, Rundi, Rwa, Samburu, Sango, Sangu, Sena, Shambala, Shona, Slovak, Slovenian, Soga, Somali, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Swiss German, Taita, Teso, Vunjo, Zulu.
- Bug fixes and stability improvements.
To update to the latest firmware:
- Open the Pebble smartphone app for iOS or Android.
- Select Support » Update Your Pebble in the Menu if the update does not begin automatically.
Pebble Android App 2.1.0 Release Notes
- NEW: Full notification support.
- NEW: End calls in-progress.
- Rewritten from the ground-up, this version contains many improvements to reliability, performance, and user experience.
- This version currently requires a device running Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean) or higher. A future update will include support for earlier versions of Android.
- Access to 2.1.0 will be a phased roll-out on the Google Play Store. Keep checking to see when it’s available for you!
Pebble iOS App 2.5.2 Release Notes