UPDATE: The Pebble Android app (v2.3) with Android Wear compatibility is now out if Beta. Download it today on the Google Play Store.
‘Tis the season for anticipation. We count down the days to gifts and good wishes, and we just can’t wait. We’ve been in the workshop ourselves, crafting something Android Pebblers will love unwrapping. Version 2.3 of our Android app gives Pebble the power to reply and act on notifications right from your watch. It’s Android Wear notification compatibility on Pebble, and it’s awesome.
Android users on our own team are super thrilled with what version 2.3 lets them do from their Pebbles. We’ve built actions that even Android Wear devices themselves don’t perform.
Reply to a Hangouts message with emoji? Thumbs up.
These new interactions from Pebble are amazing because Android developers do no extra work to make the magic happen. The Pebble Android app uses actions baked into Wear-integrated apps already. If you can do it with Android Wear, you can do it with Pebble.
In the spirit of the season, we’ve opened up access to the latest Pebble App Beta so Android users can try 2.3 for themselves—no invite required 😉 Simply join our Beta Testing Group. Pebblers wishing to beta test 2.3 must have a device running Android 4.0 or higher.
Integrating Pebble with Android Wear is thanks to the open approach Google built into Android’s notification system. Openness is a value Pebble shares and appreciates. We hope more mobile operating systems follow suit so all Pebblers—no matter their smartphone choice—can take advantage of all the delightful features we introduce now, and in the future.
Maybe a letter to Santa is in order…the Pebble community’s been pretty nice this year, right?
Love Pebble back? Join our Team!
While the rollout of this new Pebble Android app is a huge step in evolving the Pebble Android user experience, there is a lot more that we want to do to set Pebble’s mobile app experience apart, and we are growing both our Android and iOS teams to achieve our vision. If you (or a friend) develop for Android or iOS, are passionate about bringing wearables to the masses, want to push Pebble to the next level, and love working with an awesome team at an innovative company, check out our Jobs page to get in touch!
Full release notes below.
Pebble Android App 2.3.0 Beta Release Notes
- NEW: Android Wear Notifications. Reply and act on Android app notifications on Pebbles running Firmware v2.9 (in Beta) or higher.
- NEW: Support for Android 4.0+ devices. Pebble’s latest Android app (v2.2) previously required devices running 4.3 (Jelly Bean) or higher.
- NEW: Auto app updates. When available, updated apps and watchfaces will be installed on Pebble at times when the watch is idle (e.g. charging).
- FIXED: Issues with Whatsapp notifications
- DEVELOPERS: UTF-8 support in PebbleKit JS
- Bug fixes and stability improvements.
- Users wishing to beta test this Pebble app must have a device running Android 4.0 or higher.
- Download the Pebble Android App (2.3 Beta) by joining our Beta Testing Group.
- After installing and opening the Android Beta app, you will be prompted to update your Pebble to a Beta version (2.9) of the Firmware (required to use the new features in the 2.3 Android app). If this does not happen automatically, select Support » Check for Updates to install the 2.9 Beta Firmware.
- Report bugs and issues by selecting Support » Contact Support from the Pebble Android Beta App.