UPDATE: Pebble Firmware v3.8 with timeline support for Classic Pebbles is now publicly available all users. Simply download the Pebble Time app for iOS (v3.5) or Android (v3.8.1) to migrate your watch.
The Pebble Time Kickstarter project brought more than just color, voice, and ergonomic design to our family of smartwatches. The campaign also introduced a focused and delightful new operating system with Pebble Firmware 3.0. Featuring the timeline interface to organize your past, present, and future, 3.0 is all about delivering the best ways to get things done from your wrist.
During the campaign, we promised to bring support for Pebble Time’s 3.0 operating system to the rest of our lineup as well. We’re happy to announce that timeline, unlimited apps, and more are on their way to Pebble Classic and Pebble Steel this month.
We’re inviting a few Android users to help field test the new firmware now, with the full public release of 3.8 coming soon after. Due to restrictions within the iTunes App Store, we can only extend invitations to beta test Pebble firmware to Android users at this time. Pebblers on iOS will have full access to Firmware 3.8 when it is out of beta and publicly available later this month.
To beta test Firmware 3.8 on Pebble Classic or Pebble Steel (Android Only):
UPDATE: The 3.8 Beta program is now closed. Firmware 3.8 is now publicly available for download.
- Request to join the Timeline for Pebble Classic Beta Group here »
- If your request is accepted, you will receive a beta version of the Pebble Time Android app (v3.8.0), downloadable from the Google Play Store. Invitations will be sent on a rolling basis and increase over time. Don’t worry if you aren’t immediately invited to be a beta tester.
- Migrate your Pebble Classic or Pebble Steel to Firmware 3.8 using the instructions on our Help page »
For Pebblers interested in upgrading their watches to the Beta 3.8 firmware, a few key notes:
- Watches upgraded to the Beta version of Firmware 3.8 can be operated in English only. The public version of 3.8 later this month will include support for French, German, and Spanish as well.
- The Pebble Time smartphone app (required to upgrade and manage any Pebble running 3.0+ firmware) is currently available in English only.
- The original Pebble app (which manages Pebbles running 2.X firmware) is available in English, French, and German, and Spanish.
- Chinese support is not available for watches on 3.0+ firmware. Chinese remains available on watches running Firmware below 3.0.
I still love to wear my original Kickstarter Pebble. Three years later, not only does it keep on ticking, amazingly, it just keeps getting better.Thomas Purves, Original Kickstarter Backer and VP, Visa, Inc.
Bringing Pebble Time’s 3.0 software to non-Time watches has been one of the most challenging projects we’ve tackled. We’re excited to share the results of that hard work with today’s Android Beta and upcoming public release. For us, showing full support to the entire Pebble family with continuous updates is time well spent.